Friday, June 10, 2016

Editing Contacts with Android Got Easier

Project Status: Solved / Completed
Original Project Post: Unable to Edit Contacts on Android 5.0 Lollipop

As far as I can tell there seems to be no issue with editing contacts using the Contacts app on Android as there used to be. Check out the original project post if you need to know more about what the issue was, but basically when the Contacts app first came out with Lollipop the edit button was either non-existent or often missing.

Edit Icon as seen in the Contacts App
There is nothing you need to do to get this fix to start working, they seem to have resolved the issues with the app internally. I am running build version 1.4.9 as of today and it allows me to edit any contact as far as I can tell. I should have posted this some time back because this issue has been resolved for quite awhile, but better late than never I suppose.

One thing I have noticed but have not figured out yet is that some contacts who have been in each of my Android phones and in my Gmail contacts for several years now happen to have an add contact icon instead of an edit icon.

Add Icon as seen in the Contacts App
When viewing some contacts in the app I will have to first touch the add contact icon, which shows up where the edit icon normally should be, and then once they are added I have to touch the edit icon. It's only one extra step so it's much easier than it ever was before, but as I said I'm not sure exactly why that issue has come about.

It's almost like some of my contacts were saved to my phone or came from somewhere else and so they have to be added to my Gmail contacts before I can edit them. Which would make sense except the fact that the only place I have ever kept my contacts is in Gmail and with each new phone they have populated from there automatically.

Over all I am very happy that this is working now. If you are still having any issues please use the comments below or catch me on my Google Plus page for a much faster response. Also if anyone knows why some contacts first show up with the add icon please enlighten me, I would be very appreciative.