Saturday, July 9, 2016

Pipe Dream Drafts

Why so many pipe dream draft posts on this blog?

After sometime of pouring out ideas onto this site I noticed that for each post I actually published there were tons of other ideas sitting behind the scenes waiting to be published. Furthermore; for each draft of an idea that I had outlined, but not yet published, there were many more floating around in my head.

For each post I publish I like to take some time, flesh out the idea in a way that most people can understand and maybe even relate to. That takes time. As you can see, I am not a great writer. My grammar is probably pretty painful to put up with. So I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to say what I want to say and then checking back over and over it for typos.


Something that I have learned over the years is that it doesn't matter how great of an idea you have, if you can't communicate that to someone else then it is of no value. Which is one reason why I like to make some graphics for each post. Graphics are often pretty difficult and what really hold up most of the posts which sit in a drafts folder waiting to be published. I can use tons of words and never truly describe what I am talking about. Hopefully with the proper visual aid, within seconds someone can have that "a-ha" moment and know exactly what I am talking about.

Pretty much every one of the ideas I talk about involves stuff that doesn't currently exist in any form, so I can't always go grab some stock photos and drop them in. I am slowly getting better with Gimp. If you don't know what Gimp is you should check it out sometime. I can't afford Photoshop and Gimp is a free opensource project that does everything I need from photo editing software.

I am also trying to get better with 3D modeling. There are several ideas I am still trying to figure out how to convey here and with some of those animating a 3D model seems to be the easy way to make them clear. Easy for the viewer/reader that is, not for me. My skills are quite lacking in this area still and I need to spend time to get better.


What happens to "draft" posts that I see here?

Sometimes nothing. Sometimes everything! Honestly my thoughts here are to start posting as many ideas as I can even if they are in a draft state because what good are they doing to me or anyone if they sit in my head or locked in a server database somewhere. Once they are out there, as ugly and unpolished as they are, I will watch page counts. If it seems that a lot of people are searching for and landing on an idea then I will do my best to focus efforts and polish that draft into something more worthwhile.

Also I often have ideas which aren't completely thought out in and of themselves. So while maybe I see that a certain problem needs to be solved and maybe I am headed in the direction of a solution, I often don't know all the steps to get there. I may be lacking the engineering, knowledge of physics or sheer experience in relation to the problem to provide a usable solution.

It's my hope that by typing out more of the brainstorming stages of my process it will maybe help someone else along that is facing the same problem. Maybe I will bring a new perspective for that person and maybe that's what will help to solve the problem for everyone.